Fr Brian Conaghan (Marist Fathers)
Fr Brian Conaghan (born 12 November 1931 and died 2 July 2018), a priest ordained from St Patrick’s, Toongabbie in 1956.
Fr Conaghan worked at parishes and was appointed to parishes and Churches under the Marist Fathers and worked “on loan to the Archdiocese of Sydney” during his career as priest.
During the time he was appointed to teaching and serving as parish priest in Burnie, Tasmania, he allegedly sexually abused at least 5 girls between the period 1968 to 1971. These allegations of sexual abuse occurred in the context of after-school prayer group sessions inside the Star of the Sea Church in Burnie, Tasmania. At least one of the victims was a student of Stella Maria Primary School, and the abuse occurred between when she as 10 and 12 years old.
It is known that Fr Conaghan served in the following parishes:
· Curate in Redcliffe, WA between 1957 and 1960
· Teaching at Burnie College in 1963
· Parish Priest or Assistant at Burnie between 1964 and 1979
· Chaplain at Royal North Shore Hospital between 1982 and 1984
· Parish Priest or Assistant at St Patrick’s, Hunters Hill and St John’s Wood during the time between 1964 and 1979;
· Liverpool and Bondi Parishes in Sydney between 1980 and1996.
Artemis Legal represented a number of victims of abuse by Fr Conaghan in their claims for compensation against the Trustees of the Marist Fathers.