St Mary’s Agricultural School (Tardun Farm School)
Tardun Farm School was run by the Christian Brothers from 1928 as a Home where boys would learn farm skills. After World War II, Tardun housed British and Maltese child migrants aged from about 12 to 16 years as well as boys who were wards of state. Tardun Farm School closed in 1967 but remained open as an agricultural boarding school where some children were placed by the departments responsible for child welfare. Tardun closed at the end of 2008.
Data released by the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse and the Catholic Church, revealed that the school received 49 complaints of child sexual abuse between 1950 to 2009. In December 2014, the Royal Commission found that Christian Brothers leaders knew of allegations of sexual abuse of children occurring at Tardun, but failed to manage the school to prevent the systemic ill-treatment for decades. The Royal Commission also found that the Christian Brothers who ran the school were more concerned by the costs of legal proceedings, that they showed no sentiment or any intention of recognising the suffering of the survivors.
Artemis Legal has represented clients who were students at this school.
We invite former students, teachers and parents to contact us to tell us confidentially what information they may have, and we will explain what options are available to help with these cases.
Call us or complete the confidential enquiry form.